Wednesday, September 8, 2010

We Interupt Your Regular Programming...

...for fun with my bestest buddie Laura (check out her blog for pics of her weekend here hanging out with me) and camping with Adam!

Laura and I did the stairs in downtown PA, figured out the books for our book club for the next 18 months (!), decided on some cards to make, and did some meal planning. Best of all, we hung out, giggled, and got some 'girl time!' It was sooo nice to see Laura and get to spend some time with her. It had been far too long!



Last minute I decided to join Adam and his kida on a camping trip. We went to Jim Creek, which was possibly the nicest campground I have ever been to. He got a little cabin, so all 6 kids had a 'sleepover' in there, while Adam and I each slept in our tents - him in his 6 man and me in my 5 man. We had smores, and an improvised meal I dubbed "goulash-alicious" (see recipe below - I've sized it down a bit - this should serve 4).

Anyhow, I am now back into the 'routine.' Stay tuned!

Goulash-alicious (an improvised campout meal)
We were supposed to have tin foil dinner, but the meat was frozen and by the time we got it defrosted over the fire we also had pretty much cooked it too. I also forgot my BBQ sauce and my seasoning salt - so this is what I threw together instead.

1 lb. ground beef
1 family size can of baked beans
3 carrots, sliced thinly
2 potatoes, sliced thinly
1 onion, sliced thinly
butter
salt
brown sugar

(1) Make individual tin foil packets for carrots (with a bit of butter), potatoes (with a bit of butter and some salt), and onions (with a bit of butter and a spoonful of brown sugar). Seal well and stick all 3 packets in the campfire, directly on top of coals.
(2) Meanwhile, cook ground beef in a pot over top of the campfire until nearly done.
(3) Check the tin foil packets regularly - the onions will be done first. Vegetables are done when tender.
(4) Mix baked beans in with ground beef and heat until bubbly.
(5) Mix in carrots and potatoes.
(6) Serve in bowls, and garnish with carmelized onions. Num!

No comments:

Post a Comment