Thursday, September 30, 2010

Thinking Cap Thursday - Calm

Today I worked a 12-hour day. Yesterday I worked 11 hours. My brain is full and I have done nothing but think for the past few days.

Today after I got the kids in bed I went outside for a run (for more on my bizarre running adventures as of late, check out my other blog MILF in the Making). As I ran I realized that my brain was satisfyingly empty. I was calm. It was just me, my iPod, and the rhythm of my tennis shoes hitting the pavement. Now, I know I was thinking, but it wasn't conscious. I was in my own little world, and I was loving it.

When I was done running, I lay down on the driveway listening to Dave Matthews and staring up at the stars while my body cooled down. The stars were absolutely breathtaking. As I lay there, doing nothing but listening to Dave and feeling the cold cement beneath me, I realized that sometimes we think too much. Sometimes its good to just BE in the calm moments, in the now, in the quietness.

I went inside and got my daughter out of bed. We lay on the cement together, pointing out shapes in the stars and playing with each other's hair. It was a simple moment, void of deep thoughts or personal revelations. And it was perfect.

So my thought for this Thursday is this... take some time to not think for a while and just BE.

(P.S. If you really want to do some thinking though, pop on over to Single Dad Laughing, and read his article "You Just Broke Your Child." Its about Dads, but applies to Moms too. It really spoke to me and inspired me to be an even better Mom to my kidlets.)

No comments:

Post a Comment